Rafael G. Casals, CFM, ICMA-CM
The Town Manager is appointed by the Town Council and serves as the Town’s Chief Administrative Official and provides the primary source of leadership to the Town's full and part-time employees. The Town Manager works closely with Department Directors to direct the operation of all municipal and Town department functions, and ensures the Town is operating in an efficient and fiscally sound manner.
About Your Town Manager
Rafael G. Casals is currently the Town Manager for the newest municipality incorporated within Miami-Dade County, the wonderful Town of Cutler Bay. The Town is located in South Miami-Dade County and is approximately ten square miles in size and is comprised of 46,000 residents. Mr. Casals was a part of the core group of department heads when the Town first incorporated in 2005. At which point he served as the Town’s first Public Works Director.
Prior to joining the Town of Cutler Bay, Mr. Casals served as Assistant Town Manager/Public Works Director for three and a half years for the Town of Miami Lakes, another newly incorporated municipality. Preceding his experience as Assistant Town Manager, Mr. Casals was the City Manager for the City of North Bay Village for over four and a half years. Mr. Casals’ career first started in the City of Florida City as a young 17 year old senior while attending Homestead High School in 1985 until 1988, before, during, and after the infamous hurricane Andrew.
Mr. Casals’ professional affiliations include serving as the President of the Miami-Dade County and City Managers Association (2004-2005 and 2016-2017) as well as in the American Public Works Association (APWA) Board of Directors. Mr. Casals is a “home grown product” having attended Homestead Senior High School and obtained his Associates in Arts degree from Miami-Dade College He later went on to receive his Bachelor’s degree in Business Management from the prestigious Florida Atlantic University, in addition to receiving his accreditation as a Certified Floodplain Manager. Mr. Casals has over 30 years of municipal experience and understands the importance of our organization. Mr. Casals received the prestigious Credentialed Manager designation from ICMA, the International City/County Management Association. To receive the prestigious ICMA credential, a member must have significant experience as a senior management executive in local government; have earned a degree, and demonstrated a commitment to high standards of integrity and to lifelong learning and professional development.
As Town Manager, Mr. Rafael G. Casals is responsible for implementing the official policies of the Town Council and coordinating services to meet the needs of all who live, work and play in the Town of Cutler Bay. He and his professional staff provide support, guidance, communications and leadership to assure that quality municipal services are provided to all members of the community.
• Provides strategic direction to all Town departments emphasizing on the Town’s approach to government
and sound fiscal management.
• Establishes a municipal environment that promotes efficiency and excellence in community service
through the retention of qualified employees and contracting of specialized consultants.
• Cultivates an organizational philosophy that promotes excellence in government, promotes public
awareness, and ensures the participation of Cutler Bay residents in government decisions.
• Maintains a competent and skilled workforce by offering competitive benefits and in-house training to all
employees of the Town.
• Enhances employee productivity by motivating and rewarding employees through performance
recognition and miscellaneous incentives and programs.
• Adequately funds and implements programs intended to ensure the safety and enhance the quality of life
of all Cutler Bay residents.
• Carries out the direction of the Town Council efficiently, effectively, and responsibly in compliance with
• Directs and assists departments in carrying out Town policy, ensuring that the Public is well informed.
• Directs and supervises the administration of all departments and offices of the Town.
• Attends Town Council meetings and reserves the right to partake in Council discussions.
• Ensures that all laws, provisions of the Charter and acts of the Council are faithfully executed.
• Prepares and submits to the Council a proposed Capital Improvement Element (CIE).
• Submits to the Council and makes available to the public, an annual proposed budget report containing a
summary of the finances and administrative activities of the Town for each fiscal year.
• Enters into and executes agreements on behalf of the Town, as authorized by the Mayor and Town