Building Department FAQ

What are permits and why do I need one?

Permits are a way for the Town of Cutler Bay to regulate construction. The issuing of permits is a way to ensure that all construction in the Town is safe. The safety of the occupants of buildings is the primary reason for having construction codes. Obtaining a permit is just the first step in the process. In this step, you may need to create plans to submit to the department, make a plot plan for your property showing the improvements, and show the type of construction you'll be doing. Once plans are approved, you're required to build the project to those plans. If any changes are made to the plans, they must be made with the Town's approval. The second half of the process is the inspection of the work. 

When don't I need a permit?

A construction permit is not needed for repair items; such as wallpapering, painting or similar finish work. For repairs to plumbing, mechanical and electrical work, replacement or repair of fixtures (such as changing water faucets or replacing switches) does not normally require a permit. However, replacing a water heater or adding a permanently wired light fixture does require a permit. For further clarification please refer to the 2010 Florida Building Code, Chapter 1 - Scope and Administration, Section 105 Permits, 105.1 through 105.2. Below please find a link to the Florida Building Code.

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

Building Permits are available in the Building Department located in the Town of Cutler Bay Town Center at 10720 Caribbean Blvd., Suite 110 or you can click here to download a permit application and a checklist of items necessary when submitting application.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Permit issuance periods vary. Some projects can be fully permitted over-the-counter, meaning a return trip won't be needed. Some projects, however, require that plans be left for additional plan review.

What about inspections?

It is your responsibility to call for inspections at specific required times during construction. Your contractor shall be required to call for the work done under the permit issued in his or her name. However, it is still your responsibility as the property owner, to make sure the inspections are made. Inspections are made during certain points in the project, depending on the work that's being performed. For example, sheds require inspection of the footer, concrete slab, and final inspection when all the work has been completed. Remember... the project is not legally completed until it has passed final inspection.

To schedule an Inspection contact the Town of Cutler Bay Inspection Hotline at 786-573-5515

You must give a minimum of 24 hours’ notice for all inspections. Inspections scheduled prior to 3:00 pm will be scheduled for the following day. Inspections scheduled after 3:00 will be scheduled for the day following the next day.

When calling please have your permit number, address of the property, type of inspection needed, contractor, contractor contact name, and contact phone number ready as well.

What if I have a permit but failed to call for the required inspections?

Generally, permits expire after 180 days if no inspections are requested. In order for the project to be completed, it must pass all the required inspections including final inspection. If your permit has expired prior to final inspection, the project is in violation of Town codes. If this is the case with your project, you are required to call (305) 234-4193. We will instruct you as to the requirements necessary for you to be able to reactivate the permit or apply for another with ease.

If I obtain a building permit but live in a Homeowner's Association will I be able to complete my project?

Even though you may be able to obtain a permit without providing a Homeowner Association's approval letter to the Building Department, your property may have deed restrictions that would not allow your project to be completed. Your Homeowner's Association may require that your project be approved before commencing. Deed restrictions applicable to your property may be found in the public records of this county. Depending on the scope of your project, there may be additional permits required from other governmental entities such as Water Management Districts, state agencies or federal agencies.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.